Environmental Policy Statement
Cerner Corporation and its subsidiaries (“Cerner”, “we”, “us” or “our”) are committed to providing solutions and services to our clients in a manner that promotes a clean environment and/or reduces our corporate footprint on the environment. We believe that we have a responsibility to promote these good environmental practices for the benefit of the communities in which we operate and the clients, associates, shareholders and other individuals with whom we interact. We seek to minimize adverse impacts on the environment through good management, aiming for continuous improvement in our environmental programs. We seek to demonstrate to our clients our support of sound environmental principles.
We are committed to the following business practices in our efforts to promote a clean environment and/or to reduce its corporate footprint on the environment:
- Provide a safe and healthy workplace for Cerner associates, and ensure that personnel have access to appropriate training and safety and emergency equipment.
- Respond promptly and reasonably to reported or known conditions created by us that may endanger health, safety or the environment of our associates or those individuals who reside in the communities in which we operate.
- Minimize the negative environmental impacts of our business operations and support the integration of environmental considerations and objectives into our business decisions when appropriate.
- Integrate environmental considerations into our procurement of goods and services as circumstances allow.
- Evaluate and implement alternative waste programs to promote handling and disposal of waste in an environmentally conscious manner.
- Ensure hazardous materials and substances on our premises (if any) are stored, used and disposed of in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and regulations.
- Encourage environmentally conscious behavior and use of resources by our associates.
- Continually strive to improve our environmental programs and set realistic goals for improvement.
The following highlights the commitments we’ve made and the business practices we’ve adopted to achieve high standards of sustainable business operations:
- We collaborate with our utility providers and other real estate partners to obtain financial incentives for making our offices more green/energy efficient.
- We evaluate the environmental profile of the furniture and fixtures we buy, favoring suppliers and products that have better environmental profiles as circumstances allow.
- Our primary data center has been ENERGY STAR rated for more than 5 years in a row from the US Environmental Protection Agency, and qualifies in the top 25% of all data centers in the United States when it comes to energy efficient operation.
- Our primary data center facility includes a free cooling loop that enables a more cost-effective cooling source when outdoor temperatures are under 50 degrees.
- We recycle network cabling, power cabling, paper, aluminum, UPS batteries and any material left after construction projects.
- We carefully track our Power Utilization Efficiency (PUE) against established goals for continual improvement.
- We have a 25kW supplementary solar panel array, which reduces electrical utility consumption.
Facility Management and Construction
- Cerner Properties maintains robust recycling and environmental waste policies including, without limitation:
- Mixed use office recycling
- Secure shredding disposal and recycling
- Florescent lamp and ballast recycling
- Food waste recycling
- Construction debris recycling
- Furniture donations for reuse
- Pallet recycling
- Cardboard recycling
- In addition to our recycling programs, we have also implemented the following practices in our facility management and construction efforts:
- High efficiency heating and cooling equipment and controls selection
- High performance thermal envelope
- High efficiency LED lighting systems
- Daylight harvesting
- Installing water efficient plumbing fixtures
- Use of native plants to reduce irrigation
- We contract with local IT asset disposition vendor, Synetic Technologies, to:
- Facilitate the safe and secure destruction of the private and sensitive information contained on our retired technology assets in compliance with NAID® (National Association for Information Destruction) standards.
- Refurbish viable IT assets for remarketing when possible, or when remarketing is not possible, recycle precious materials in compliance R2/RIOS™ (Responsible Recycling / Recycling Industry Operating Standards), which represent the highest standards for environmental control, worker health and safety, and data and facility security.
Forward Looking Statements – Certain statements in this document may be forward-looking statements which are subject to safe harbors under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties, and our actual results, performance, or achievements could differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements on the basis of several factors.