The misuse and abuse of opioids is a national crisis. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, more than 90 Americans die each day after overdosing on opioids, which includes prescription pain relievers, heroin and synthetic drugs.
In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, Dr. Will Stadler, director and solution executive of Behavioral Health at Cerner, discusses addiction and what health care providers can do to prevent this upward trend.
In this episode, Dr. Stadler answers the following questions:
- The misuse and abuse of prescription medication, specifically opioids, is a nationwide epidemic. Give us an overview of the crisis.
- What impact does addiction and substance use disorder have on individuals, families and communities?
- The opioid epidemic has many challenges, understanding that there are health care system barriers and also underlying behavioral health issues. What can health care providers do to support clinical intervention and care coordination?
- What are some of the financial incentives for Behavioral Health providers to adopt Health IT solutions?
- In your opinion, what will it take to end this epidemic?
Listen to the full episode below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!