Health care is undergoing a shift from volume-based to value-based care to improve overall heath. For many years, the core function of the EHR has been the transaction. Now, the industry is moving to intelligent EHRs, where data drives actionable population health insights. In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, Dr. William Feaster discusses how implementing population health management early in life can impact the health of the next generation.
Dr. Feaster is the Chief Medical Information Officer at Children's Hospital of Orange County. He has more than 40 years of experience in information technology. Under his leadership, CHOC has just earned one of the highest accolades in the HIT industry: the 2016 HIMSS Enterprise Davies Award.
In this episode, Dr. Feaster answers these five questions:
- Could you explain the industry's transition from a volume-based, fee-for-service payment model to one that emphasizes value and prevention?
- What is CHOC's vision for managing the health of your very important population and what are the organization's goals
- What are some of the unique challenges associated with a pediatric population?
- Congratulations on your HIMSS Davies award - well deserved indeed. What are some of the lessons you've learned?
- What are some best practices for providers looking to track chronic conditions?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!