The Leidos Partnership for Defense Health, including Cerner, is working with the Defense Healthcare Management Systems (DHMS) and Military Health System providers to deliver a modernized electronic health record, called MHS GENESIS. Ultimately MHS GENESIS will deploy to all military health facilities around the world, delivering smarter, safer care when it matters most.
We are coming off the heels of the first four site go-lives in the Pacific Northwest region, which served as the initial test of MHS GENESIS and its supporting operations and infrastructure. In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, we’re joined by Stacy Cummings, program executive officer for DHMS, to take a look back and talk about the Initial Operational Capability phase, the value that’s already being seen, and how the lessons learned in the IOC will be applied moving forward.
Stacy answers the following questions:
- The IOC strategy involved selecting a group of health care facilities to be a test bed for future deployments. With IOC wrapping up, what are some of the lessons learned along the way?
- How will those lessons inform and improve future deployments?
- What are some of the benefits that have started to come out of MHS GENESIS? What examples in the areas of clinical efficiency, patient safety, provider adoption and patient engagement are you seeing the most measurable improvement in?
- The Department of Defense announced the next military health facilities to deploy MHS GENESIS. Where will those next sites be, and, in general, how is deploying an electronic health record for the military different than how it would be done in the private sector?
- Finally, the deployment of MHS GENESIS isn’t just a delivery of a domestic system—it will be leading a global transformation. What update can you give us about preparing to develop a record that can be used in operational settings?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!For more Cerner news and health IT insights, make sure you're following us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.