In the past decade, advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) have continued to make a measurable impact on the way health care is delivered. There is perhaps no better example of this impact than in the field of population health management, where AI has enabled us to analyze large patient data sets to help clinicians make better, more educated decisions when caring for their patients.
In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, we’re joined by Dr. William Feaster, the chief medical information officer at Children's Hospital of Orange County. With more than 40 years of experience in information technology, Dr. Feaster’s leadership was integral in CHOC being awarded the 2016 HIMSS Enterprise Davies Award, one of the highest accolades in the HIT industry.
Dr. Feaster answers the following questions:
- To start, can you explain how an effective population health strategy is able to make an impact in our communities? How has this field emerged and evolved in recent years?
- AI has the ability to improve efficiency and productivity, optimize therapy recommendations and reduce the cost of patient care. How do industry leaders expand valuable insights to treat entire populations?
- We’re still in some of the early stages of AI, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t already influencing population health. What are some of the present-day applications of AI in pop health that you have seen improving outcomes?
- What are some of the unique challenges that you have seen at the intersection of AI and pop health, and how have you overcome these challenges?
- As we look to the future of care, how do you feel AI advancements will affect our ability to improve population health strategies?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!