At the state level, there’s a lot of talk around health care reform and what it means for Medicaid, as well as some discussion around how Medicaid ties into population health management and social determinants of health.
In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, we hear from Dr. Susan Mosier. Susan serves as Secretary of Kansas Department of Health and Environment. Here, Susan shares her insights around the Medicaid conversation and what we can expect in the future.
Susan answers the following questions:
- We’re seeing a lot of states right now asking for more flexibility with the Medicaid program. From a state perspective, can you discuss the importance of flexibility, and detail what kind you’d like to see in Medicaid?
- Many health care systems are seeking to understand the social issues facing their populations. How do you see social determinants impacting Medicaid health?
- Many states are struggling with silos of health information in different agencies. How do you see Medicaid systems moving to remove silos and create more continuity in care?
- Delivery of care is a major discussion point in health care. What ideas are being discussed at the state level as to how to improve delivery of care in state health systems?
- We’re hearing a lot right now about America’s opioid crisis. What actions are states taking to try and address this issue, and what else do you think needs to happen?
Listen to the full episode below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!