As we move toward a pay-for-performance era where providers are paid for services documented, rather than services provided, physician documentation has never been more important. In addition to continued compliance, implementing an electronic physician documentation can lead to an increase in physician satisfaction and decreased cost.
Bob Diamond, senior vice president and CIO at Health Quest, has more than 30 years of experience in health care technology, and recently helped implement electronic documentation across the health system at Health Quest. In Episode 25 of The Cerner Podcast, Bob discusses the cultural changes necessary to ensure a successful implementation.
In this episode, Bob answers the following questions:
- Health Quest had a very successful electronic physician documentation implementation that focused on ease of use, cultural change, physician compliance and comprehensive reporting. How did you measure that success?
- Explain why it's important to establish a sophisticated change management structure before implementing a significant change such as physician documentation?
- How does an organization prepare for the transition to an electronic physician documentation system?
- What are some of the challenges associated with implementing such a significant cultural change?
- How can you involve the end users throughout the process?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!