Meaningful Use has been evolving since its inception in 2011, and stage 3 is the third phase of the electronic health system incentive program. Meaningful use stage 3 (MU3) is optional in 2017, but will be mandatory for all participants in 2018.
In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, Sandy Summers, Director of Meaningful Use at Dignity Health, talks through preparing her organization for MU3. Dignity is the fifth largest health system in the nation, which is largely located in California, Arizona and Nevada.
In this episode, Sandy answers the following questions:
- Dignity Health is piloting four hospitals to attest to meaningful use stage 3 in 2017 and you’re in the middle of the project right now. How did you determine which sites to pilot, and what are you doing to get those hospitals ready?
- CMS recently issued its 2018 Medicare Inpatient Prospective Payment System proposed rule, which would modify the EHR reporting periods for hospitals attesting to meaningful use. Does this change your plans at all?
- Meaningful use stage 3 takes a lot of resourcing and time commitment, how did you get everyone aligned in the organization?
- What advice do you have for your peers preparing for stage 3?
- At the end of the day, health care is about the patient. How is meaningful use stage 3 going to impact the care you provide to your patients?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!