We understand how important research is in helping health systems and physicians improve the health and well-being for their patients and communities to help advance healthcare.
Our goal is to help accelerate the discovery, development and deployment of groundbreaking therapeutics by harnessing the power of everyday healthcare.
We offer resources to help you launch or further your research capabilities through the Cerner Learning Health NetworkTM (LHN). The LHN is a nationwide network of diverse health systems that share de-identified, real-world data to help advance clinical research and trials. The LHN is designed to help health systems:
Your health system can join the LHN with no capital investment – regardless of size, capabilities or location – to help bring clinical research to patients.
Discover how the LHN helps put patients and physicians first to make research for all a reality. Watch the video to learn more.
• Use technology that aims to help simplify the research process
• Select clinical research studies
• Obtain support for record retrieval requests
• Receive potential opportunities for research funding
• Leverage a network of de-identified data
• Enable teams to conduct high-volume, efficient trial and outcomes research
• Devote less technical effort to data onboarding and cleansing
• Access data kept current by the Cerner team
• Share learnings with a network of participants
• Gain access to peer research
Clinical breakthroughs can’t come fast enough. We understand how important research is to health systems and physicians who want to improve the health and well-being of their patients and communities.
Diverse community-based hospitals are a lifeline to saving clinical research and can help increase patient trust and reduce disparities.
Cerner announced an investment in Elligo Health Research, a leading integrated research organization that enables clinical trials with nationwide community-based health care practices.
Every day, you work toward making a positive impact on your health system by leveraging data within your organization – even with limited funding, resources and capabilities.
• Sign data agreements.
• Cerner works with client to confirm allowable data sources to be shared to the LHN.
• Cerner performs data onboarding; low IT engagement from client.
• Cerner performs HIPAA-compliant Safe Harbor de-identification during data onboarding, including “site anonymization” - which blinds client in the data.
• Client identifies research liaison for Cerner to notify about new research opportunities for opt-in/opt-out.
• Cerner provides access to “Real-World Data” portal and basic training to client users to use national de-identified data with Cerner-hosted tools inside Cerner’s firewall.
Data will be protected by a data governance council, with site and patient input, that oversees and monitors the data and research of the LHN.
Cerner will never:
• Move patient-level data (even de-identified) beyond Cerner’s control without direct site consent
• Link with marketing or non-clinically relevant data sets
• Permit use of identifiable data sets without direct patient consent
• Reveal member organizations and specific localities without direct site consent
• Reveal clinician data without direct site/provider consent
• Demand exclusivity
The LHN does not require IT investment by clients. Cerner performs the data onboarding which aims to reduce IT bottlenecks for clients.
The LHN is unique in that the goal is to create a network of diverse, nationwide organizations, including:
• Large integrated delivery networks (IDN)
• Health authorities
• Community hospitals
• Government agencies
While data sharing is inherent to the LHN, a key focus is on operationalizing research tools to support clinical studies and creating opportunities for members to participate in those studies. Study tools include:
• Patient recruitment
• Data capture and quality
• Chart review
• Patient adherence
• Risk calculation
The LHN is designed to be a continual data quality improvement loop by pushing further cleansed data back into the network for members to leverage for research purposes. Enhancements to data cleaning and quality are accomplished through research studies that harvest additional data concepts or interpretations.
Cerner does not accept general solicitations, rather, we seek strategic opportunities to collaborate with organizations that can help us achieve our mission. Thank you to the following organizations for offering resources designed to launch or further our members' research efforts.
Elligo Health Research, a healthcare-enabling research organization, uses electronic health records and the trusted patient and physician relationship to ensure all patients have access to clinical research as a care option. Powered by our Goes Direct® approach and novel IntElligo® Research Stack clinical technology, our team provides access to the best healthcare experts, patients, and research technologies. We engage physicians and patients who otherwise would not participate in clinical research and accelerate the development of new pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device and diagnostic products.