The health care environment is demanding, fast-paced and can take an emotional toll on clinicians. With some physicians expressing feelings of fatigue, frustration and disempowerment, this can have a real impact on their personal wellness and the quality of care they deliver to patients.
The world of health care IT is focused on recognizing and addressing this industry-wide challenge of physician burnout that some are calling an epidemic. We now sit at a juxtaposition in the industry, where we are calling on technology to advance and complement existing workflows to enhance the physician experience.
On this episode of Perspectives on Health and Tech, we are joined by Dr. William Holland, CMIO and vice president of care management at Banner Health, and Dr. Lu de Souza, chief medical officer and senior director of Cerner’s Physician Alignment Organization. Dr. Holland and Dr. de Souza discuss the following questions:
- What is burnout and how does it impact physicians in their careers?
- Is physician burnout an epidemic?
- How do physicians get to the point of burnout? To what point does technology plays a role and what are some of the other large contributors?
- Can technology can be leveraged to increase physician satisfaction and reduce burnout?
- How can health care organizations and the health care IT industry support physicians in reducing the contributing factors of burnout?
- How does physician burnout impact health care overall? Where do you foresee the industry heading as it responds to this issue?
Listen to the full podcast below, and click here for previous episodes of Perspectives on Health and Tech.