Nursing is a 24/7/365 profession that constantly changes within the fast-paced health care environment. By achieving specialty certifications, advanced education and embracing innovation, nurses can better meet the needs of today’s health care consumers.
Technology is changing the face of nursing by empowering nurses and other health care providers to leverage predictive data in operations. Now, nurses have the opportunity to optimize health system performance and achieve the Quadruple Aim of improving the patient care experience, advancing the health of populations, reducing the per capita costs of health care and improving the clinician experience.
On this episode of Perspectives on Health and Tech, we are joined by Lisa Gulker, Cerner’s senior director of Hospital Operations, and Jen Fogel, vice president and Regional Nursing Informatics Officer for Northern Light Health, the most expansive integrated health care system in Maine.
Jen and Lisa discuss the following questions about how nursing leaders can use technology to enhance care delivery, reduce nurse burnout and build a culture of innovation within their organizations:
- How does embracing innovation change the face of nursing informatics within the health system and bring value to nurses?
- How is Northern Light using innovation to create a healthy work environment and improve nurse satisfaction?
- What types of specialty certifications and advanced education opportunities are encouraged for the nursing staff at Northern Light? How are these offerings helping nurses produce better patient outcomes and improve the overall health care experience?
- What is the role of nursing when partnering on innovative technology, such as Logistics Center dashboards? How are nurses making sure that the data needed for operational efficiency is leveraged to meet the diverse needs of all care team roles?
- What types of opportunities are being created to use the varying degrees of nursing expertise in disseminating care through technology and data?
- How is data being woven into nursing workflows and embraced across the different generations within nursing at Northern Light?
Listen to the full podcast below, and click here for previous episodes of Perspectives on Health and Tech.