Across the country, hospitals and health systems are reshaping how patients receive care. This means the health care workforce is also evolving to meet these new challenges.
In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, we’re joined by Dick Flanigan, Cerner’s senior vice president of ITWorks, and Dean Brian Klaas from the Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Brian joined the Bloch School in April of 2017 and has published extensively in such areas as human resources, dispute resolution and labor relations. In this episode, Dick and Brian discuss past and future trends in workforce development and what business leaders – both in the health care industry and outside of it – should take note of.
- Discuss working with developing executives, whether those be rising executives or those in their early or mid-career who are continuing professional development.
- What do you see as the future of workforce needs, not only locally, but on a national and global scale? Can you talk through what we’re seeing as the critical skills executives need in today’s evolving marketplace, both in the public and private sector?
- What role does higher education play in workforce development in a region? Specifically, what does Bloch School offer those who aren't pursuing an MBA but would like to sharpen their skills, and what might other higher education organizations learn from this example?
- As technology and consumer behavior patterns have evolved, so has the workforce. What can we learn from recent transitions, and what future is ahead of us in terms of workforce development and management?
- Talk us through what unique challenges the health care and health IT industries may face in light of our fast-moving marketplace and workforce trends. What might we expect from health professions and health business development?
- What are some of the factors that are barriers to firms or employees/professionals (individuals) engaging in workforce development in a productive way?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!