Alcohol and drug addiction is a powerful illness that does not discriminate, gripping individuals and families across the world. In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, we're joined by William Moyers, vice president of public affairs and community relations at the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, a drug and alcohol addiction treatment center headquartered in Minnesota with inpatient and outpatient rehab locations across the U.S.
William has spent the past two decades carrying the message of hope and healing to thousands of people using his own journey to inspire countless others to find help. In this episode, we speak with him about the illness of addiction and the role of treatment in overcoming it.
William answers the following questions:
- Can you share with us some of what you have learned about the illness of addiction from your personal journey in overcoming it?
- What behavioral health aspects of substance abuse disorders do you think are sometimes overlooked, especially regarding the stigma that is associated with this illness?
- While the individual and their family also play major roles in treatment, what are some of the ways health care providers can support the treatment of patients suffering from addiction by utilizing health IT?
- Are there any HIT innovations on the horizon that have the possibility to advance the fight against substance abuse disorders?
- How can we support a better understanding of addiction, both in the health care industry and in our daily lives?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!