Electronic health records (EHR) systems can provide a myriad of benefits for the health care system, including better patient care and cost savings. However, EHR technology isn’t perfect – and post-implementation issues can range from end-user dissatisfaction stemming from workflow issues and documentation and change management needs to a lack of communication and provider engagement.
In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, we're joined by Dr. Erine Erickson, regional chief medical information officer at Dignity Health. She discusses strategies for successful EHR implementation and optimization.
Dr. Erickson answers the following questions:
- How does an integrated, dedicated EHR improve care coordination and patient outcomes?
- You have some experience at Dignity Health with designing an EHR implementation and go-live strategy. Can you discuss that project, some of its challenges and the outcome?
- In your view, what are some of the best practices any health care organization should consider when optimizing its EHR program?
- Let’s discuss the role of the physician. Why is it important to get physician buy-in for the optimization strategy, and how would you suggest health care leadership accomplish that?
- Finally, let’s talk future state. When we consider what the EHR programs of the future might look like, what are your expectations, and what are you most excited for?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!