Historically, nursing informatics was the liaison between the clinical and technical side. Today, nursing informatics is one of the industry's most powerful specialties. In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, Amye Gilio, director and regional nursing executive at Cerner, discusses the role of the modern CNIO and the growth of the nursing informatics profession.
Amye answers the following questions:
- First, let's start with a little background. Can you give us a little background on the nursing informatics field?
- Let's talk about the current state of the CNIO's role. What are some of the responsibilities and challenges a CNIO is facing today?
- How has health IT reshaped the nursing profession? Maybe you can give us some examples of how technology has evolved and disrupted the field.
- Today, the health care industry is facing a data tipping point -- we've got access to more data than ever before, and it's arriving in bulk. Can you discuss how data and analytics affect the nursing profession today? What can nurses do with this influx of data, and how can it help them improve patient outcomes?
- Traditionally, it's been difficult for those in the nursing informatics and the broader nursing profession to have a seat at the executive table when it comes to decision making. What advice can you give to nursing leaders who are facing this challenge?
Listen to the full podcast below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!