On this episode, the third in a four-part series on the opioid epidemic, we’re joined by Kashif Rathore, Cerner’s vice president of interoperability, and Ken Whittemore Jr., vice president of Professional and Regulatory Affairs at Surescripts. They answer these questions:
- What is Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances (EPCS), and how is it being used to combat the opioid crisis?
- What are some of the challenges that prescribers face with using EPCS, and how can these issues be lessened to encourage more EPCS use?
- How does the EHR and interoperability help address and prevent opioid abuse?
- How does having access to real-time medicine claims and pharmacy fill data within the workflow benefit providers and patients? How does this information advance prescription drug monitoring programs?
- Where’s the opioid crisis and EPCS heading in the next five years?
Listen to the full podcast below, and click here for previous episodes of "Perspectives on Health and Tech."
More like this:
- Ep. 137: The impact of the opioid addiction on patients, providers and communities - listen time: 20:31