Open standards, like SMART Health IT and the HL7 FHIR standard, are encouraging a new level of collaboration and innovation within health care IT.
There are other promising open standards using the FHIR standard that will help advance health care IT. One of those emerging standards that could potentially add considerable power for developers and clinical communities alike is Clinical Decision Support Hooks — also known as CDS Hooks.
Kevin Shekleton, senior principal architect and distinguished engineer at Cerner, has been involved in the collaborative industry effort to advance CDS Hooks as a standard. In this episode of The Cerner Podcast, Kevin discusses how open standards benefit the HIT industry.
In this episode, Kevin answers the following questions:
- Explain what a CDS Hook is and the problem it's designed to solve.
- How will CDS Hooks benefit both the clinical community and the developer community?
- While we're in the early stages for CDS Hooks, speak to the importance of a broad industry collaboration.
- What are some developers building with CDS Hooks?
- How do you see CDS Hooks evolving and developing as a standard over the next 5-10 years?
Listen to Kevin's full episode below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!