Telehealth continues to gain traction in the health care industry. Today, more than 75 million Americans have telehealth as a covered medical benefit through their health plans. According to studies, 70 percent of consumers reported they'd rather have an online video visit with their doctor to obtain a prescription than visit the doctor's office in person.
On Episode 16 of The Cerner Podcast, Dr. Roy Schoenberg, president and CEO of American Well, a leading national telehealth company, discusses direct-to-consumer virtual care and the impact telehealth has on clinical effectiveness, efficiency and workflow implications.
In this episode, Roy answers these five questions:
- As CEO of a leading telehealth supplier, what major trends have you seen that support the evolution of telehealth? And how does the government incentivize telehealth (or not)?
- What role does the EHR and patient portals play in the world of telehealth?
- What is technology's role in helping bridge the patient and the clinician outside of the traditional hospital setting?
- What is your advice for provider organizations looking to implement an effective telehealth strategy?
- What do you see the next 5 - 10 years look like?