The misuse and abuse of prescription medications is a nationwide epidemic. And at the front and center is the opioid crisis.
To put it in perspective, more than one thousand people are treated in the emergency room every day for misusing prescription opioids.
Tripp Jennings, chief value and informatics officer at Palmetto Health, is featured in Episode 12 of The Cerner Podcast, where he takes a closer look at addiction, the economic impact and what health care providers can do to prevent this upward trend. Palmetto Health, the largest integrated health care system in South Carolina Midlands region, has taken steps to curb prescription drug abuse.
In this episode, Tripp answers these five questions:
- As I mentioned, opioid abuse is a growing national trend. Give us an overview of the crisis and what you are seeing personally.
- Why do you think it's gotten to the heightened state it is at today?
- Appreciating that addiction is more than a health care issue, what is the economic impact of this crisis?
- 49 states now have prescription drug monitoring programs. How are states working together to tackle the opioid epidemic?
- The opioid epidemic has many challenges, understanding that there are health care system barriers and also underlying behavioral health issues. As a physician, what advice do you have for your colleagues...what can health care providers do to support clinical intervention and care coordination?
Listen to Tripp's full episode below, or click here to view all episodes of The Cerner Podcast!